The San Marcos Association is a non-profit community service organization. (IRS Code 501(c) (4).) The goals of the organization are: to protect the rural, residential character of the area; to monitor development to see that it is consistent with that character and with applicable plans and ordinances of Santa Fe County; and to represent property owners/residents of the area in matters of public service, utilities and the general welfare of people.
On April 1, 2016, the SMA was recognized by the Santa Fe County Growth Management Department as a "Registered Organization." What that means is set out in Chapter 2 of the Sustainable Land Development Code. In summary, the SMA has the right to:
- Be notified of and make recommendations for pending discretionary development applications in our geographic area (see map) and get notice of public hearings or meetings about such applications.
- Be notified of and make recommendations for Development of Countywide Impact applications.
- Be notified of and make recommendations for amendments to the SGMP, SLDC, or Area, District or Community Plans in our area.
- Coordinate with Community Organizations (which are also defined in Chapter 2), residents, and owners of property or business in our area when discretionary development reviews or administrative adjudicatory applications come up.
- Meet with the Land Use Administrator on matters of interest in our area.
- Participate in Town Hall meetings.
- Take part in Registered Organization leadership retreats and training programs.
Remember, our primary function is advocacy. If you have any questions about legislation or development or exploitation that affects the San Marcos area, please let us know. You can post to our Facebook wall, where others will see and may address your concern. You can send email to us at SanMarcosAssn@gmail.com, or snail mail to San Marcos Association, P.O. Box 722, Cerrillos, NM 87010.
To visit different parts of this site, click on the tabs at the top of the page. We have a page of links to local shops and services; let us know if you have a business you’d like to add to the list.
Click Here for Our Current News Sheet
Click Here for Our Position on Current Zoning Proposals